Friday, March 14, 2008

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Addendum: At closing, the highest bid was $300. He then donated the money to the Cancer Society as promised.

This looks pretty legitimate. Not sure if it will really help him stop, but I do wonder how much the contract will go for.
I've smoked cigarettes for twelve years and I've tried all the usual ways to quit smoking. Now that my wife Annabel and I are pregnant with our first child, it's time to give up once and for all.
I've created a listing on the New Zealand online auction site trademe.co.nz, and on Monday 31 March, 2008, the highest bidder will receive a contract written by my lawyer, Chris Hoquard at Dominion Law, in which I hand over my right to smoke to them, and agree to pay them a forfeit of [$800] per cigarette that I smoke at any time following the auction's closure.
The auction will run from March 22-31.

1 comment:

  1. Here is a final letter from the ex-smoker:

    http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/30/how-one-smoker-quit/

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.