Sunday, January 08, 2012

Why Losing Weight is So Hard

Because your body fights it:
A full year after significant weight loss, these men and women remained in what could be described as a biologically altered state. Their still-plump bodies were acting as if they were starving and were working overtime to regain the pounds they lost. For instance, a gastric hormone called ghrelin, often dubbed the “hunger hormone,” was about 20 percent higher than at the start of the study. Another hormone associated with suppressing hunger, peptide YY, was also abnormally low. Levels of leptin, a hormone that suppresses hunger and increases metabolism, also remained lower than expected. A cocktail of other hormones associated with hunger and metabolism all remained significantly changed compared to pre-dieting levels. It was almost as if weight loss had put their bodies into a unique metabolic state, a sort of post-dieting syndrome that set them apart from people who hadn’t tried to lose weight in the first place.
This is why it's important to be active and never gain the weight. But that's hard.

1 comment:

  1. It's not quite hard to lose weight, it depends a lot what kind of metabolism do we have. Personally, I love my body, because I can eat whatever I want and have a fit body :D. I do fitness exercises for me, because I need to be healthy and I really enjoy practicing different sports.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.