Thursday, April 29, 2010

Quit While You're Way Behind

Instead of being a search for truth, often this blog feels like a justification for what I'm already doing. Everything from talking fast to teaching high school and being poorer. The most interesting things are often those that explain an already existing pattern. As you know, my diversified New Year's Resolution failed miserably. Perhaps it was for the best:
Three studies examined associations between goal disengagement and goal reengagement tendencies and indicators of physical health (e.g., health problems, cortisol rhythms, sleep efficiency). Based on research showing that goal adjustment tendencies are associated with subjective well-being, the authors predicted that people who are better able to disengage from unattainable goals and reengage with alternative goals also may experience better physical health.
Notice this is talking about unattainable goals. I've yet to decide if my original goals were attainable considering my motivations and mental accounting of the costs and benefits. I'll let you know in my mid-year resolution check up.

3 comments:

  1. Amike2:50 PM

    I guess I should've waited to post that Ben Franklin quote, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should make a concerted effort to post about things you've changed your mind on, or things you're unsure about. I try to do this on my blog once in a while. It's difficult, but good for you I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I do that Justin, but probably not enough.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.