Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Economics of Speeding MPG

I've done the economics of speeding tickets. Now here's what speeding costs (more than I thought), from a new blog I've been following The Simple Dollar:
if you’re tooling along on the interstate at the speed limit of 65 miles per hour and drop that back to 64 miles per hour, you’re actually improving your gas mileage by about 1.5%, according to fueleconomy.gov.
Here's how it plays out:
In short, driving one mile per hour slower will add six minutes to the trip and save you $1.04 in gas. Your savings simply by driving one mile per hour slower is $10.40 per hour.
I highly recommend the practical advice regularly posted at The Simple Dollar.

4 comments:

  1. YES! I've persuaded a blogger of another blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That math seems screwy... so if I drive 10 miles an hour slower... say 55 MPH, will it save me $104.00? 20 MPH slower $208?

    If I get 20/ MPG and go 60 MPH for an hour I've bought 3 gallons haven't I? @ $3 a gallon I'd spend $9, but would save ($1.04 x 5) = $5?

    I could be way off, but that seems high.

    Note: I didn't read your links

    ReplyDelete
  3. That math seems screwy... so if I drive 10 miles an hour slower... say 55 MPH, will it save me $104.00? 20 MPH slower $208?

    If I get 20/ MPG and go 60 MPH for an hour I've bought 3 gallons haven't I? @ $3 a gallon I'd spend $9, but would save ($1.04 x 5) = $5?

    I could be way off, but that seems high.

    Note: I didn't read your links

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Stephen, The Simple Dollar has become a favorite.

    Well Brian you have remember the ideal speed to drive for fuel efficiency is somewhere around 55. So the farther away you are from that the bigger the difference it is on gas mileage.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.