Friday, March 19, 2010

Sick Day's Impact on Education

I took a sick day today. Couldn't really talk, which is fairly important to teaching high schoolers. Were my students negatively impacted? The research says yes:
The authors estimate 10 additional days of teacher absence reduce mathematics achievement of fourth-grade students by 3.2% of a standard deviation. They employ an additional instrumental variables strategy to bolster the case for a causal interpretation of results. Instrumental variables results indicate the impact of unexpected teacher absences on student achievement is larger than the impact of anticipated absences.
I feel a little better that I stayed an extra hour yesterday to be sure the students were able to complete the work scheduled. This study is also for elementary school, which is probably more dependent on teacher attendance. Though I did have to reschedule my AP US History debate to Monday. Then again, it's pretty safe to say if you class can get done all the work it needs to when you are absent, especially for multiple days, you're probably not a very good teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post...I've thought about that with my absences. However, I think it's better for you to take a sick day than become really sick and be out for multiple weeks. I also think that districts need to do a better job with subs. I've often found so many inconsistencies between the work I left for a sub versus what actually happened.

    I agree too though that I don't think it has as much of an affect at the high school level because it at most affects 90 minutes of a student's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think good planning and a good sub can mean getting accomplish your classroom goals. Also I think the administration needs to support the subs. That said, I have been pleasantly pleased with the quality of subs that I have received.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.