Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Self-Diagnosed ADHD

The DSM-IV is a collection of currently recognized mental health disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association. From stuttering to dementia, this manual gives a list of symptoms to help diagnose patients. I have suspected for a long time that I have ADHD, while at the same time questioned the validity of the disease disorder. In graduate school I worked for Clemson University's Student Disability Services and got the chance to attend the Western North Carolina Symposium on Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorders. In an effort to challenge these ideas I took the diagnostic criteria ( and attempted to diagnose myself (understanding the inherent flaws of doing so). It is divided into two categories and can be either 1 or 2 (ones that apply to me are bolded):
1) 6 (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:
  • Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work or other activities
  • Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
  • Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly
  • Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions)
  • Often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities
  • Often avoids, dislikes or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework)
  • Often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books or tools)
  • Is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli
  • Is often forgetful in daily activities
2) 6 (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:
  • Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat
  • Often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected
  • Often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness)
  • Often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly
  • Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor"
  • Often talks excessively
  • Often blurts out answers before questions have been completed
  • Often has difficulty awaiting turn
  • Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games)
The self-diagnosis says yes. My wife says yes. Even the name of this blog, Bottlenecked, suggests slowing down my brain so I can move forward.

8 comments:

  1. If it is legitimate and you do have it, Harrison, you have done a remarkable job of overcoming it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that I should suggest reading a book in response to an ADHD post, but Tyler Cowen's latest gave me an entirely new perspective on mental conditions like this. While it is mostly about autism, it is really about embracing different "cognitive strengths" and not seeing them as unusual or imperfections. If you really dig into what it means to be ADHD -- not just the weaknesses but the strengths, too -- you might even be proud to claim this "condition".

    ReplyDelete
  3. ADHD is just a collection of symptoms. There is no physical test for it and the DSM IV criteria are so broad as to be useless medically. This does not indicate a medical abnormality. Could equally be an accumulation of bad habits including lack of exercise, poor sleep, and maladaptive response to stress. So, what does having ADHD really give you other than an "answer"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts go out to you and your mental illness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, if you really look through the DSM-IV, you can find half a dozen or more disorders that you "have". I have personally diagnosed myself with several. We all have our quirks, strengths, and weaknesses. The key is whether or not the quirks and weaknesses are detrimental to your ability to function in life.

    That being said, those with moderate to severe ADHD are greatly impacted, and thus, it is a valid disorder (not disease). Work with a few of my kids, and you can see, their non-existent attention prevents them from learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justin W: That book came to mind when I was writing this, but I'm not how to apply it. Penelope Trunk also talks about Aspergers like that.

    Chris: I'm definitely sympathetic to your worry about the benefits of diagnosing such a vague disorder, but I once heard a story at the WNC ADHD Symposium that challenged me. Dr. Russell Barkley, a very well respected man on the subject, had a brother with severe adult ADHD. He claimed that it inhibited his brother from making rational decisions which eventually resulted in a terrible car accident, killing him. I believe there is a biological difference between those with ADHD, though of course socialization is also important. Also, Barkley predicted that in our lifetime we'll have a physical test for it (or maybe already do), so we'll see.

    Brad: Ha, thanks.

    Cheryl(swirly): I'm not the "dude" am I? Wasn't I clear that I'm not a doctor and that this is just speculation.

    Everyone: I think it is valuable to better understand yourself. There are things that people who have ADHD can do to minimum the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think Cheryl was knocking you, Harrison.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.