Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dedication Begets Dedication

Awhile back I warned against exerting too much passion, in fear of burning out. That may have been misleading. Despite popular belief to the contrary, divorce rates among parents of children with Down syndrome are lower than those with children without disabilities. I've discussed how all relationships are a certain portion give and take and a healthy balance is needed. Perhaps the more you give in one relationship, like a disable child, the more you give in other relationships, like your marriage. However, the lower divorce rate does not hold true for the first two years after a pregnancy. So if you can resolve the issues, your marriage is better off for it. This also seems to fit with my own predictions about how resolved conflict can actually increase intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.