Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Can Robin Hood Predict a Recession?

Remember the undead's correlation with hard times? Well it looks like Robin and his not-so-merry men do too:
My colleague Binyamin Appelbaum noticed something interesting yesterday: Robin Hood movies are tied to recessions. We're talking here about the adult Robin Hood movies. So set aside "Men in Tights" and the Disney cartoon. Instead, look at first major Robin Hood film, "The Adventures of Robin Hood". Release date? 1938. Similarly, "Prince of Thieves" came out in 1991, another recessionary year. And I ran a quick Google search: Sure enough, there's another Robin Hood movie slated for May of 2010.

2 comments:

  1. This is sortof related to an NPR are story I heard about a study which showed that when the economy is doing badly, songs with steady beats are more popular: http://is.gd/1GAXB

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.