Friday, February 12, 2010

Answering My Own Questions, Second Edition

Here's Part I and here are some more interesting questions with interesting answers:

1) What is the total number of humans that have ever lived?
Best estimates are around 106 billion people. Because the current population is so large in comparison to the past (thanks Industrial Revolution), that's over 5% of humans ever.

2) How many calories do you use when thinking hard?
According the Popular Science, your brain burns 1.5 calories a minute while doing a crossword puzzle. Not bad when you consider walking burns 4 calories a minute. Should I have added weight loss to a reasons to blog?

3) What's the most famous spin-off television show?
Most found answer was Frasier. But what about King of the Hill and apparently The Simpsons?

4) Do the losers on Jeopardy get to keep the money they win?
No, but they do get small consolation prizes. So why don't more people bet it all at the end?

5) What percentage of people have had premarital sex?
According to a survey of women for the last 30 years, 95 percent had done so by age 44. Wow.

Here's one I couldn't find the answer to:
Why do TV shows tell us who closed captioning is "brought to you by"?
My best guess is because businesses want to look good by supporting it. Got a better idea?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how expensive it is to add closed captioning to videos, but it must be some expense because many videos/DVDs don't have it. So it might be part of the contract with whoever is paying for it to mention them, perhaps lowering the amount they must be paid. Kind of like on quiz shows when they say where the clothes, prizes, etc. came from. How does your brain come up with this much curiosity, Harrison?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense to me Patty. As for my curiosity, part of it is assuming other people have these questions too or maybe it could be my (possible) ADHD.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.