Thursday, February 25, 2010

Guilt Free Nap

On nights when I have to stay out late for improv, I usually try to get a nap in. It used to make me feel like a bum, but no longer:
scientists say naps are natural. Humans are bi-phasic sleepers, which means we're meant to sleep in bouts, not long stretches. About one-third of U.S. adults say they typically take a mid-day nap.

The new findings reinforce the researchers' hypothesis that sleep is needed to clear the brain's short-term memory storage and make room for new information
I still don't want students to sleep in class, but now I wouldn't mind if they slept in earlier classes.

2 comments:

  1. And apparently 10 minutes is the most efficient nap length!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a 10-15 minute nap after school one day last week, before I went out again at night, and it was great - I felt much better!

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.