Sunday, January 01, 2012

Diversified New Year's Resolutions, 2012 Edition

For 2010 and 2011 I made several New Year's Resolutions. Both years I was only halfway successful. But as I was sitting down evaluating my past goals I noticed something. They haven't really changed. Here they are, originally from December 30, 2009:
1) Moderate exercise for 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week. From what I have read this is the minimum time needed to remain nominally healthy. Hopefully I will work my way up from here, but it's good to start small. 
2) Drink 0-1/2 a soft drink daily in my home. Again, the plan is to work down to zero, but there's a good chance I'm addicted to caffeine. 
3) Read the Bible every weekday. Not many exact parameters on this one yet, but I would like to open and read a portion of the Bible 5 days a week. I claim to believe it's valuable, but my actions say otherwise. (here's the blog I intend to keep up
4) Pray regularly. Same details as the previous one. 
5) Allow my wife to pick one for me. She knows my flaws better than anyone and I trust her more than anyone. Who better to help me improve? (she choose for me to do 10 minutes of house cleaning a day)
And this year I'd like to add one more: 6) Be on time. I've come to the conclusion that in order to be on time for everything you have to be early for most things. And thanks to my new smart phone I'll have something to do while I'm waiting.

Oh and just to be sure I don't feel like I've accomplished anything by posting this, assume I've failed.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. My goal/resolution setting works MUCH better if I tell people. If I decide it just myself, I know I'm only letting myself down when I give up and fail. When I've told other people, I feel like I'm somehow letting more people down when I fail, so I try harder to keep the resolution.

    Guess that says that I care more about what other people think of me than what I think of myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true for everyone and I mentioned it the first two years. But it's also true that telling people can give you a feeling of accomplishment before you accomplish anything.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.