Thursday, September 10, 2009

Advertising Without Waste

One thing that has always bugged me about advertising is the use of real resources on un-consumable goods. All the hours of labor put into the production of a commercial could be spent creating something that actually has value. This is especially true when I see commercials that give customers no actual information about the product. However, recently I've seen example of advertising that actually produces something. On Labor Day many of us put on our favorite sports jersey and headed over to Chick-fil-A for a free chicken biscuit. Reader and fellow blogger Justin also pointed me to another 90% off (for 9/9/09) deal at Restaurant.com where I bought a hundred dollars worth of restaurant coupons for less than $4. Why would these profit driven companies give away so much? Word of mouth is the perfect way to remind people of your product and what better way to get people talking than by offering huge discounts. It will also increase your brands likability. Best of all, they didn't waste millions on advertising.

2 comments:

  1. As an Advertising professional, I resent that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying that advertising shouldn't exist, it just doesn't necessarily add value to the object (especially when the advertisement gives little actual information).

    That said, I do think there is some information in all advertising. When ever I see a product really advertised, I assume the company thinks that product is high quality (or else they wouldn't spend so much money spreading the word).

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.