Sunday, September 06, 2009

Why I've Improved as a Teacher and Improviser

I posted earlier on why in the long run I will be a great teacher (because I like learning). Here's one reason why I think I've already improved:
we document that a teacher’s students have larger test score gains when their teacher experiences an improvement in the observable characteristics of her colleagues. Using within-school and within-teacher variation, we further show that a teacher’s students have larger test score gains when their teacher has more effective colleagues (based on their own students’ achievement gains from an out-of-sample pre-period). These spillovers are strongest for less experienced teachers, persist over time and teachers perform best when they are the weakest of their peer group– suggesting a peer learning interpretation. Consistent with this interpretation, conditioning on historical peer quality reduces the explanatory power of individual teacher effects by twenty percent.
Though my school is small and rural, there are experienced educators there that have pointed me in the right direction. Like the previous post, this can apply to my improv as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.