Monday, December 28, 2009

Santa: Naughty or Nice

I waited until after Christmas so as not to be a Scrooge, but this topic is too interesting to pass up. In my family, we went along with the Santa story until all the children figured out it. That is my youngest sister asked me and I unmasked Santa, which is still a point of contention. So the question is important: Is pretending Santa is real good or bad for kids? Here's an experiment from the University of Texas:
Fifty-two children who no longer believed in Santa Claus were individually administered a structured interview on their reactions to discovering the truth. Their parents completed a questionnaire assessing their initial encouragement of the child to believe in Santa and rating their child's reactions to discovering the truth as well as their own reactions to the child's discovery. Parental encouragement for the child to believe was very strong. Children generally discovered the truth on their own at age seven. Children reported predominantly positive reactions on learning the truth. Parents, however, described themselves as predominantly sad in reaction to their child's discovery.
By age seven, the story of Santa Claus seems to exist more for parental enjoyment than for their children. Not even considering the complications of explaining the purpose for celebrating Christmas (Jesus) and how it mixes with elves and flying reindeer, the bottom line for me is the dishonesty. To continue the charade, parents must lie to their children. Whether it's leaving cookies for someone who doesn't exist, having them meet an impostor in the mall, or attempting the explain the scientific impossibilities of Santa; parents who want to convince their children St. Nick is real must deceive them. Though I'm not in their situation yet, it seems most parents tell their children Santa is real for the same reason they circumcise them, peer pressure. They don't want to be different, so they go with the flow. As for now my wife and I plan to treat Santa like a game that some people play more serious than others. My kids will know he's not real, but it's fun to tell fictional stories about him.

2 comments:

  1. Consider this possibility: You could celebrate Christmas as a completely secular holiday (an idea that many support for which there are multiple religious arguments) and merely tell your kids that Santa is a symbol of secular humanism's perception of love.
    Madeline and I are totally with you by the way. I am a strict Santa is not real type of guy, but I like how your approach allows mention of that churlish elf without precipitating mendication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it was unspoken, that's pretty much how my family did it. Christmas eve is about Jesus and Christmas day is about presents.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.