Saturday, February 05, 2011

Be Sure You Can't Be Replaced by Progress

A while back I got in a conversation with some students about how to choose a career. One of the suggestions I gave them was to be sure your job won't be replaced by computers in the foreseeable future. It's one of the reasons I've been giving a lot of thought to teaching online. But it's not just teachers, journalists, and factory workers that have to worry. Economist Eric Falkenstein describes how even highly skilled jobs like college admissions, bank underwriters, and day traders might go the way of the switchboard operator.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are giving through to online teaching. I'd encourage you to check out Sal Khan if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the site, but it's a little overwhelming. I hope to commit a weekend to it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.