Sunday, February 27, 2011

Your Default is Self-Verification

If there is one thing blogging has taught me, it's that we are drawn to ideas we already have. For example, we only trust experts when they agree with what we believe (I'm guilty too). This is a huge hindrance to our search for the truth. To be truly wise, we must doubt our own fragile understanding and give others' thoughts the benefit of the doubt. That's why this week, I will devote the first post of every day to items that I was once wrong about. Hopefully by reminding myself of my past foolishness, I can prevent future foolishness.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Could also be good to try after this arguing for an idea you disagree with.

    ReplyDelete

You are the reason why I do not write privately. I would love to hear your thoughts, whether you agree or not.